Public cloud, hybrid cloud, hyper-converged infrastructure, and synergy of IT providers are terms you probably hear around the place quite often. However, the reality of building complex IT ecosystems can be a somewhat daunting one! That’s why VMware Cloud Foundation was created – a platform that makes it easy to create a hybrid IT environment.
VMware Cloud Foundation – Top 6 Questions
What is VMware Cloud Foundation?
It is a hybrid cloud platform that allows you to manage your IT environment based on hyperc onverged infrastructure (HCI) technology. It enables private and public cloud operations from different providers within a single management panel. In practice, this means building systems that combine the VMware, Microsoft, AWS or Google Cloud, with central control from one point. VMware itself quite confidently says that it is the most technologically advanced platform of this type.
This solution provides the opportunity to connect the world of public cloud with a traditional data centre in a simplified model of environmental management. The basic idea of this solution is complete independence from the equipment. The only requirement is that it complies with the so-called HCL – VMware Compatibility Guide.
It expands the vSphere server virtualization solution with integrated vSAN storage and adds security to NSX-based network communications. Everything is connected by this SSDC Manager management software.
When combined with a cloud management platform using vRealize Suite and VMware HCX, you get a hybrid solution that supports private and public environments equally. VMware Cloud Foundation provides a consistent operating model based on well-known vSphere tools and processes and gives you the freedom to run applications anywhere in accordance with the vision promoted for years by VMware:
- Any application,
- Any device,
- Any cloud.
This translates into the ability to run any application written in a traditional or microservice model (i.e. placed in containers) on any device in both private and public cloud environments.
VMware Cloud Foundation was created for teams that are overwhelmed by the constant need to maintain a large IT environment. This applies to both the security, management and the efficiency of the system in the field of building new projects.
However, if the environment is quite small (several physical servers, less than 50 virtual machines), or the company has just made an investment in traditional equipment, this solution is unlikely to be used.
- It reduces the time it takes to start up your environment by eliminating complex processes related to designing, testing, running, and configuring your system. We allocate resources based on standards developed by top engineers and the proudly named VMware Validated Design solution. In addition, VMware Cloud Foundation allows for fast, repeatable and secure project implementation. More effective support for technical teams.
- Reduce the cost of maintaining the environment by 20-30% compared to a solution consisting of individual VMware components, including vRealize Suite.
- “Nowadays” solution (future-proof infrastructure), thanks to the use of the platform, you have the ability to run any applications, both traditional and those that are placed in containers, without installing additional services and solutions.
- Based on individual solutions delivered with VMware Cloud Foundation, you get the most modern Software-Defined Data Center platform. Figuratively speaking, you “cut” the available physical resources into smaller pieces using software.
- Flexibility, high availability and performance of storage space.
- The network virtualizer component used, in addition to the fact that it allows for building distributed and hybrid networks, is additionally extended by comprehensive security at the level of virtual physical machines and containers.
- Automation as a desirable feature of any IT environment is fulfilled not only for services launched on the basis of VMware Cloud Foundation but also through the use of automated application and system cycle management (central software for updating all components – vSphere Lifecycle Manager).
This solution with enterprise-class functionalities with the difference that you can also start implementing it in relatively small environments.
- Limiting yourself to using the product of one manufacturer means the need to increase the team’s competencies in one field.
- An inevitable change in the process of managing the organization and projects caused by a much faster and more automated implementation of systems and applications.
This is a significant step towards a complete transition from a private to a public cloud, which not every enterprise is currently ready for.
VCF is a revolution in IT. The platform dramatically accelerates the activities of the entire business and solves specific problems of large IT environments (including those in the transition period from data centre to cloud). Such a trouble-free and fast form of implementation of new applications is another step in the development of the IT industry. For this reason, even if you do not decide on this solution, it is worth being aware of its existence.